Adsense

Monday, January 26, 2015

Chanterelle hunting in early fall


By far one of my favorite mushrooms to hunt for, is the Chanterelle. Its fresh apricot smell and the bright orange almost gold as a bell as it pushes up through the forest floor. Chanterelles are usually found near old logging roads where pines have been cut. The biggest yields I've found were near slopes in these previously described areas. They will grow as far as 20 feet or more in large amounts. As season gets toward the middle, they can be found at lower elevations in parks as well. I was surprised when I discovered over 50 chanterelles at a park in South Hill area of Puyallup. Much different than my usual hunting areas in the mountain parks.

Above: A trail of chanterelles can be found if you're the lucky person to be first in the area
Below:  The usual habitat for good amounts of chanterelles
Below: Large harvest done in the prime of season.

So you're probably wondering what exactly I did with all of these mushrooms. I gave some away to family members, then I made a bunch of chanterelle soup! Recipe is below. I also took a picture of what it turned out to be like. It was the best soup I've probably ever had in my life. No joke.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/creamy-chanterelle-soup-recipe.html


No comments:

Post a Comment